Monday 6 August 2012

Aztec Broccoli

Also known as huauzontle, aztec broccoli is a new crop for me this year. It's a member of the Chenopodium genus along with true spinach, quinoa, good king henry and fat hen. I love trying different or unusual vegetables and growing them myself always adds an extra dimension to tasting something for the first time, so when I came across this one on the Real Seed Catalogue website I knew I would have to give it a go.



I sowed the seeds in modules in early May (although they can be sown directly into the ground) and they had germinated within a week, quickly growing large enough to be transplanted into my allotment. Weeks of rain followed, during which many of my plants and seedlings were devoured by hordes of slugs and snails enjoying the wet conditions - I could barely bring myself to look at the huauzontle seedlings in case they had all vanished. But no! They were barely touched and continued to grow on throughout the gloomy weather, giving me some succulent pickings of mealy green leaves to use raw in salads.

A few weeks ago the dense clusters of flower buds on each plant grew large enough to be harvested, taking the top three inches or so from the flowering shoots, including leaves, just before the flowers open. I steamed the 'broccoli' until tender and was pleased to discover that the flower buds and leaves held their texture after cooking, giving a very pleasant 'bite' unusual in a cooked green. The flavour is difficult to describe, not really like broccoli or spinach, huauzontle tastes very green, fresh, almost grassy with a hint of citrus.



The more flower buds I pick, the more shoots are produced, so hopefully the plants will carry on cropping for as long as the weather stays warm enough. Already a favourite, I can't believe how it easy this has been to grow with little attention from me and no noticeable pest or disease problems. Apparently it's a common crop in parts of South America so I'm looking forward to finding and trying out some interesting recipes - huauzontle fritters anyone?



2 comments:

  1. We've grown this this year; a very successful crop, 4 or 5 feet high. I'm about to cook the first picking, I'll just steam, but would be very interested to know if you have found any recipes! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting I will have a go at growing it in my allotment

    ReplyDelete